Monday, January 25, 2010

PLEASE keep this student in your prayers

This is a very difficult post! My heart is still in pain from an incident that happen in my classroom this morning. Things were going normal on Monday morning and working on getting students motivated to work after returning from their weekend, when a students screams in desperation, "Mrs. A come here quick", from the tone of her voice I knew it was serious. I ran to her when I noticed she was holding her best friend in her arms and holding her up. She was saying, "something is wrong with .....!" I started talking to the student and realized she was in a full blown seizure! I was OK, until she stopped breathing! My students you could tell were starting to panic and feel helpless, so I sent one to get the nurse, her best friend to the counselor because she was very upset and a couple of the boys help me place her on the floor ready for CPR.

Without going into private/confidential details, I sent the rest of the students to another room, the ambulance was called while still working on the girl and until the nurse arrived! When I checked on her at lunch, her vitals were back to normal but she was still not verbally or eye contact speaking. Which seems to be normal for her. She has a rare disease that mostly shows up in older people, my understanding is she probably will not live out a normal life, and she is working with Mayo since they have never known a young person having it and to help prolong her life. They have great physicians there and are well educated on this disease, just more difficult since she is so young.

I was able to see all my students during lunch to visit with them and make sure they were OK, plus let them know she was doing better and her vitals were good. We can't forget what they witnessed and what they are feeling, so please keep them also in your prayers!

Please pray for her, she is a precious, smart, wonderful, girl who has the fight to stay here and with us, as she was wheeled away toward the ambulance, I kissed her on her forehead and told her I would see her soon!

I am so thankful the good Lord gave me the knowledge to know what to do and that He was with me through this! Praise God!

4 comments:

Kristin said...

How scary! What a blessing that God surrounded her with all of you to take care of her. I will pray for you, her, and the students involved!!

Cheesemakin' Mamma said...

How awful! Sounds like you did a good job handling the situation.

Thanks for stopping by my blog. Nice to "meet" you! I use to barrel race (Jr. rodeos) when I was in jr. high and high school. Love it, but loved break away roping more. Now, I'm far from the ranch life I grew up on, but I long to get back there. Someday...if it is in God's plans for us.

Have a fantastic day,
Jackie

Laurie J said...

I know who you are talking about- she has had a tough time of it and she is a sweetie. Sounds like you did good, sister. Hope to see you this week.

Cheesemakin' Mamma said...

Wow! That is so cool that you rope, too. Most people don't have a clue when I talk about break-away roping. I just did it for fun at jackpots and jr. rodeos. My family (still) does brandings the old fashioned way (rope 'em and drag 'em to the fire). That was considered good family fun for us. I get to ride about once a year now is all, when I go camping with my family. I sure miss it! Now I ride a my husband's Harley. Talk about horse power, LOL! Congrats on all those wins for you and your daughter. Very neat! Hope we get to know each other better.

God Bless,
Jackie