Saturday, May 15, 2010

What my Grandmother left behind.......

My grandmother has been gone for many years, I still miss her and my grandfather more now than ever. I called them "ma" and "pa" since I stayed with them 90% of the time! They were like my parents, we were a very close family.......we would go to Texas to see family at least every 2-3 months and I would be right in there with them!

My grandmother loved to cook. I remember her cooking chocolate pie and she would make her chocolate filling in a 'iron skillet'.....no double boiler for her! She was known for her pies, cakes anything sweet! She is the one who taught me to cook, so she is very special to me and so is her pots and pans. After she passed, I did get her cooking pans, skillets and the round cake saver (carrier). Today after returning from Ft. Smith with mom and dad, mom ask me if I wanted her cake carrier (Hummmmm ?) she showed me her square cake carrier, something I didn't even know she had.....so was I to say NO? Are you kidding.....? So now I have more memories of my grandmother!



Taking Cakes to school, I have had many who wanted to know where I got this cake pan! I keep a close eye on this one....

This is the one mom gave me today that was ma's also, little did I know, she was probably keeping this for special times, like our potlucks at Church!

5 comments:

Jacquie said...

I found your blog through Heather's (Life at Sonic Speed). I enjoyed reading your posts. I gleaned your love for family and heritage and the simple things in life... and that we have in common. I look forward to keeping up with you and your family.

Katie said...

Hey Chris,
So funny you were so close to me as I lived In Greenwood outside of Ft. Smith when we lived in AR. I still miss the way people value family and get togethers. I am defiantly a southern person born to the North (: Although we have good times here as well. People are more harsh at times. I miss my sweet southern friends so much. Thanks for all your comments. Your Daughters senior pictures are awesome. She is so gorgeous!! Really really pretty. Take care friend.

Holly said...

We have an iron skillet but I've never used it before.

I really like those cake pans!

Holly said...

So it makes the food taste better? Interesting.

Cheesemakin' Mamma said...

What special memories! Love the cake savers. I've seen them at antique stores and flea markets. So neat that you have them to remember your grandma by.