Saturday, June 13, 2009

Storm damage

I will post pictures soon! Yesterday afternoon approximately 1:30 my hubbie called and said, "take cover now", a huge storm is coming your way. So my daughter and I got in the hall with the dog...............the wind hit soon after the call! It sounded like everything was hitting our house, it was a sound like no other. Later to find out, the wind picked up our front porch and sat it back down! After about 10 minutes, I got up and turned on the tv to find out we still were not thru with the storms. I opened the back door and saw my barn doors off and 2 trees just uprooted!

Looking around to see what the weather was doing, and to see where my girls (horses) were when my attention was caught elsewhere! MY BARN.....OMG! It ripped one side of my barn off! There was sheet metal in the pasture along with my doors to the barn. I really got worried about my horses! If they were in the barn when the storm hit, they could be trapped or hurt badly!

I was calling my husband, he was trying to get home, he said trees and powerlines were down everywhere and he had to try another route. I went looking for my horses, and finally after 20 minutes he got home (it is a 4-5 minute drive from his work)!

We found the horses, they were in the back of the barn scared to death, but not hurt! Thank God! We assessed all the damage and could not believe how that storm ripped through so fast and caused so much damage! One sheet of our long tin off our barn roof blew off, the wind whipped it around and went in the ground under a tree root and jammed itself up against the barn. Hubbie and I tried to get the tin out of the way of the horses, and realized that it was under the tree root! Amazing what a storm can do!

We are all ok! I will post pictures from my Iphone when I can get them to send....yesterday the lines were jammed up....probably due to all the family and friends calling to see if we were ok!

2 comments:

Kristin said...

Oh my goodness! I'm so glad that you and your horses are okay! It is amazing what storms can do....we went through Hurricane Ike this past year and we were completely amazed at all the damage too.

Veronica said...

Hey Chris...sorry I am just now getting to read this post. How scary about the storm. I have never experience that since I've lived in CA all my life. I am so glad to hear that everything and everyone is okay!!!